KVAM FREE LUTHERAN
KVAM FREE LUTHERAN CHURCH, ORGANIZED IN 1868, IS THE FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH TO BE ESTABLISHED IN OTTER TAIL COUNTY, MN. DURING THE SUMMER OF 1869, KNUTE QUAMME DONATED ONE ACRE AND A FRACTION OF LAND IN THE CENTRAL PART OF SECTION 21, ST. OLAF TOWNSHIP. THIS WAS TO BE USED FOR A CHURCH AND CEMETARY SITE. THE CHURCH WAS BUILT THE SAME YEAR BUT THE INTERIOR OF THE CHURCH WASN'T COMPLETED UNTIL A FEW YEARS LATER.
THE ORIGINAL CHURCH BUILDING STILL STANDS, NOT ONLY AS A HOUSE OF WORSHIP, BUT ALSO AS A MONUMENT TO THE FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH IN OTTER TAIL COUNTY, AND AS A MEMORIAL TO THOSE FAITHFUL PIONEERS NOW PASSED AWAY TO THEIR HEAVENLY REWARD. THEY NOT ONLY SAW THE NEED TO PROVIDE FOR THE MATERIAL THINGS OF THIS LIFE, BUT ALSO REALIZED THE SPIRITUAL WELFARE WAS OF A GREAT IMPORTANCE IN THE MAKING OF A COMMUNITY.
Kvam Celebrates 150 Years!
Kvam Free Lutheran Church celebrated 150 years of ministry on July 15, 2018. Pictured above are: Rev. David Skordahl, Rev. Lyndon Korhonen (AFLC President), Rev. Wendell Johnson, Rev. Mark Johnson, Rev. Steve Carlson, and Rev. Dan Hurner.